My Christmas gift to self every year for the last 10 years is fiber equipment. 2014 was no exception. I gave myself a Nancy’s Knit Knacks heavy duty ball winder…yes, the one most knitters covet. I didn’t get it till spring and, when it came and was unpacked, I noticed it was different from the one I use at my LYS. Some assembly was required, and, once assembled, I wound some yarn. The cakes were loose and a bit wonky and had no tension whatsoever. I got out the instructions and learned there was a tension adjustment. So I corrected it and wound more yarn. This time the cake had “floopies” (dangling loops at the bottom and top). I attributed this to user error and wasn’t too concerned about it. Several weeks later, I again had floopies and again thought it user error. In the meantime, Gilligan who is a NAPE (North American Paper Eater) ate what I thought were the instructions to the ball winder. I continued to have floopies and was quite frustrated by this. I mean I’ve been winding on the older version of this winder for years…surely this new one couldn’t be that different. I watched NNK’s tutorial videos which were more relevant to the old winder. I tried several different remedies to no avail. One of the reasons I bought this winder was because it doesn’t normally create floopies and I do not…repeat do NOT…like floopies. I was mentally composing an email to Nancy’s, when reorganization of my desk top revealed that Gilligan had not eaten the instructions. Once found and read, I was able to quickly remedy the problem (another new adjustment) and am now a happy floopie-less knitter here in Southpark. The moral of this story is: the amount of user error is directly proportional to the time spent reading the instructions.
Now on to just (k)nits in the zone…I’m (k)nitting Rockefeller using Wollmeise Pure in 47 AG and Ruby Thursday on US size 3 needles. It has been a struggle….I’ve tinked a bit and done a bit of amphibious (k)nitting and left several mistakes that can’t be seen from the back of a galloping horse. I still love this piece and the red and dark grey are an excellent combination. I am working section 3 and, once this is completed, Rockefeller will hibernate for a while. I haven’t decided how long yet.
The reason I haven’t decided how long is just (k)nits for others. I have 2 Christmas stockings and 9 baby/toddler sweaters to (k)nit. The stockings need to be finished by November 1 and won’t be cast on until October 1. I’ve been (k)nitting the baby sweaters on Sunday but am finding myself a bit stressed by the “slowness” of this (actually the stress is coming from having too many projects on the needles). So once the stockings are finished, I’ll be working the sweaters rather than just (k)nits in the zone for a while and also will decide the duration of Rockefeller’s hibernation.My current just (k)nits for others project is Camo Gramps on US size 6, 7 and 8 needles using GnomeAcres Squishy Gnome Wabbit Season Duck Season and Malabrigo Rios Lettuce.
Peyton’s Fish Hat in GnomeAcres Squishy Gnome Lady Camo using US size 6 needles is now just (k)nits bound off. I really have fun (k)nitting these hats.
In just dead(k)nits I’m working on Nine Ladies Dancing socks with fish lips kiss heel using Desert Vista Dyeworks Zien and 2.25 mm needles. I’m on the leg of sock 2 and hope to finish by week’s end. The Sockhead Hat using GnomeAcres Sparkle Gnome in Batgirl and US size 2.5 needles is now hibernating. This is another piece that is moving slowly because I don’t have enough “love” to go around.
Till next time, no frogs, no tinks, just (k)nits.